What is CALEA?
The Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA) is an international program founded by the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP), National Sheriff’s Association (NSA), National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE) and the Police Executive Research Forum (PERF). The Commission has developed a comprehensive set of written standards covering every aspect of law enforcement policies, procedures, practices, and operations.
The CALEA Review Process
The Casper Police Department started the accreditation process in August 2020 with an accreditation team compiled of both sworn and professional staff committed to professional excellence. In late 2022, our department underwent in-depth web-based and virtual site-based assessments, including a policy and practices review, and providing proof of continued compliance with CALEA standards. The Casper Police Department completed the 36-month assessment in 28 months. The Casper Police Department was awarded its initial accreditation on July 29, 2023, and became the first agency to be accredited in the State of Wyoming. Chief McPheeters said, “CALEA Accreditation is universally recognized as the gold standard in determining if a law enforcement agency truly is on the cutting edge of best practices in our industry. To have such a respected organization as CALEA recognize our department’s efforts speaks highly of the department and everyone on our team.”
Benefits to the City of Casper and #ourCommunity
- Accreditation assures the community that its law enforcement agency is committed to the highest standards of professionalism, and that its policies and procedures are effective, responsive, and up-to-date.
- Increased law enforcement agency capabilities to prevent and control crime.
- Strengthens an agency’s accountability, both within the agency and the community, through a continuum of standards that clearly define authority, performance, and responsibilities.
- Holding the Casper Police Department accountable through regular onsite inspections and Commission review.
- Reduced liability to the municipality by requiring an up-to-date policy manual reflecting the best professional practices in law enforcement.
The purpose of this public portal is to receive comments regarding an agency’s compliance with CALEA standards, engagement in the service community, delivery of public safety services, and overall candidacy for accredited status. These comments can be in the form of commendations or concerns. The overall intent of the accreditation process is to provide the participating agency with information to support continuous improvement, as well as foster the pursuit of professional excellence.
Please select the link below to submit comments to CALEA portal.